Well, I was all fired up to start blogging regularly and here I go, going weeks without an entry! Can I use the excuse, "I'm new at this..."??? Let's get caught up!
I am prompted to write today because we had an incredible presentation at school. The Midwest Transplant Network came to talk to us about transplants. It's something we've all heard of, obviously, but still haven't learned much about. I knew the basics: HLA typing to see if the tissues are compatible, knocking down the immune system so the recipient's body doesn't start attacking the donated organ/tissue, etc. I didn't know much about the process as far as all of the steps involved. It was a very enlightening, eye-opening day!
First, the medical director for the MTN spoke to us about logistical information. He clarified the difference between someone who is "Brain Dead" and someone who is "Cardiac Dead." For someone who is brain dead, they don't have any brain activity and don't have any brainstem reflexes (like a gag reflex, pupillary reflex). These are the people in a coma on ventilators in the ICU. Most had a stroke, maybe drowned or suffered a head injury. Someone who is cardiac dead is more familiar. It's what I think of immediately when I think of someone who is "dead": their heart isn't beating and they aren't breathing. Brain dead patients are crucial to the entire transplantation process because their organs are still possibly usable. They are still getting oxygen through the blood. Cardiac death patients are a little more difficult when it comes to organ usage but they are HUGE for tissue donation!
We also learned about a lot of the misconceptions people may have about organ and tissue donation.
Many believe if an EMS squad or healthcare team learns they are a registered donor they won't work as hard to treat them/save their life. Medically, ethically and legally that is not something that would actually happen. No one is going to let someone die so someone else can have their organs. (Most) people that work in healthcare all share a common desire: to save/preserve human life. This desire is what inspires these people to work in that field.
Another concern is that the donor won't be able to have an open casket at the funeral. This is a very valid concern but one that can be addressed with the transplant team. There are ways to retrieve the organs and tissue that preserve an outwardly normal appearance. It's perfectly fine to ask about that!
Next we had two women speak to us about their experiences: the first as a donor family and the second as a recipient/recipient family. The first woman, Jill, told us about her family. She and her husband were blessed with twins several years ago. One, the girl, was always healthy while the other, a boy, had terrible allergies and asthma. One day a couple of years ago he had an awful asthma attack, so awful they started to take him to the hospital. My heart broke to hear her tell us how she and her husband tried to resuscitate him before the ambulance came. The EMS was able to get him back but his brain had been deprived of oxygen for 45 minutes. She described the roller coaster of emotions they rode on for the two weeks he was in the hospital. I can't imagine what they must have gone through... In the end, her son passed away and they donated his organs and tissues to those in need. She started going around with the MTN, speaking to groups like my medical school class. Her husband was with her for every one of those talks to support her.
Today was the first time he wasn't there with her. To break your heart even more, her husband passed away nearly 6 months ago due to heart disease. Jill told us so simply, "I know there are medical terms but he had a broken heart." He started getting sick 1 month after their son passed and it wasn't long before he was gone as well. He had his organs and tissues donated as well. I could feel Jill's strength just radiating out from her. I was reminded again just how resilient human beings can be. She told us the grieving process is a little easier knowing that part of her son and husband lives on through other people. She's got a wonderful attitude about life and is so proud of her daughter. She's all she has left now. My thoughts are with her and her family :-)
The next woman that spoke, Susan, is a transplant recipient: she's received a liver and some tissue over the course of 18 years. Her strength was also palpable in the room. She was diagnosed with liver disease at age 17 and was told she'd never make it to be 20. Finally, after proving everyone wrong, she received a new liver at age 34. I can't imagine how it must be to live with a chronic disease, knowing you are dying. She told us the way to get through it is to, "Redefine normal. Find your new normal. Don't judge yourself based on the healthy population because that's not you." That's something many of us never thought of before today: every single person on the transplant list is dying. It is a last-ditch option for them to continue their lives. Her story was also very inspiring. I can't believe the strength these people have!
Her husband spoke to us last. He works in community education for the MTN but he is a recipient as well. He had his first heart transplant when he was 24. Something, probably a virus like mono, attacked his heart and destroyed the muscle. Just like that, he was left with no options but to get a new heart. Fortunately, they found one for him and he lived happily and actively for many years. About two years ago they discovered he needed another one. His initial prognosis was only 5-10 years. It has been more than 15 at this point. Fortunately AGAIN he was able to get a new heart that should last him well into his old age.
Just the attitude of these people and how they treat their bodies now. Susan told us that when she woke up from her transplant surgery everything was different. Everything tasted differently. Everything looked different. It was incredible. Ray told us he treats his heart as if it's made of gold. He watches everything he eats and exercises every day. Exercise is medicine for the heart and he takes that very seriously.
Now, I have to ask: Are you a registered organ donor? I am. I remember getting my driver's license at 16 seeing the box for "organ donation" on the paperwork. "Why not?" I figured. "I won't be using them, someone else may as well!" That one decision could help more than 50 people! If you are, thank you, that's a wonderful gift you can give to someone. If you aren't, please consider registering.
Most importantly, talk to your families about your wishes. It may be a oddly-timed conversation but it will be so great to have it in advance. The last thing you want to do when your loved one is dying is find out they want to donate their organs and you had no idea.
Here is a link if you have questions or want to register:
FAQs About Being An Organ Donor
Ok! Off my soap box! :-) Thanks for reading. Talk to ya soon!
Hey Nat! If you're interested in issues surrounding organ and tissue transplantation, I have some book recommendations for you!
ReplyDelete"Strange Harvest: Organ Transplants, Denatured Bodies, and the Transformed Self" by Lesley A. Sharp
"Recovering the Nation's Body: Cultural Memory, Medicine, and the Politics of Redemptions" by Linda F. Hogle
"Body Shopping: Converting Body Parts to Profit" by Donna Dickenson
All are super interesting!
:)